Thursday 15 October 2009

Mowbray Tomato Sauce: Family favourite or flop?



Name: Mowbray Tomato Sauce
Label: Mowbray Premium quality squeezy tomato ketchup, family favourite.
Cost: £1.00

Now, you may recognize this sauce from your local pound shop. I find it doesn’t quite live up to the name of ‘Premium Quality’ when compared to Heinz’s standards; unless premium means nasty.

It tastes exactly how it costs; cheap, and the claim of ‘Family favourite’ may have been made by an almost empty wallet holding dad. It’s slightly on the runny side and has more of a lighter red colour than any other sauces I have seen before. I feel it lacks a certain strength that other brands may be able to live up to.

On the taste test, I tried it with some chicken dippers and a potato waffle and found it was acceptable. It tastes okay with other chicken products as well. It isn’t heavy on the taste buds, which is something that might suit the occasional tomato sauce lover.

I thought it didn’t go so well with medium strength cheese melted on toast, it’s too sugary and doesn’t combine well. I found this the same case with fried egg and a cheese slice on toast. This sauce doesn’t combine well with many foods.

However I’m not dismissing that it isn’t value for money; it may not be the obvious choice but may be an ideal cheap alternative for barbecues and children’s birthday parties. Plus being a commendable amount with one whole litre it will endure any gathering with food with ease.

If you don’t like it, then you’ll probably not be able to eat it up within a month. The recommended time you should keep tomato sauce for before chucking it away is about a month or two, so if you don’t like this sauce then it’ll go to waste. But at least you only paid a pound for it.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the Tesco Value sauce was better. It does indeed suck hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mobray do a smokey flavour bbq sauce and I prefer it to the market leaders,the only one that comes close is the heinz one,but as I've said I prefer it! and I'm not short of a few quid.so perhaps you could taste test this one?regards David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone have details for this company im trying to get on touch with them?

    tnx :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sauce did not go with the burgers but tasted ok with the hotdogs. A blob of the sauce stained my kitchen side pink so worried me a little so dont think I will buy again im going to stick with the tesco value or heinz brands just incase it causes stomach lining probs.

    ReplyDelete